We continue the series of our articles on Romanian balneary resorts with Sovata, another resort of this type, appreciated in Europe. Sovata is on the map of renowned European balneary resorts as of 1850 and, besides the therapeutic benefits, it provides excellent possibilities for rest and relaxation.
Sovata in a few words
Sovata is a little town in the heart of Transylvania, in Mureș County, surrounded by hills forested with beech, oak, hornbeam, elm, chestnut, and fir, but also by Muntele de Sare (the Salt Mountain). Sovata is renowned for a few lakes with chlorinated and sodic water, out of which the most known is Lacul Ursu (Ursu Lake), which presents the heliothermal phenomenon: in the summer, the water temperature varies according to the accumulation of solar heat in the salt water, the warm water being protected by a layer of fresh water coming from streamlets, which does not mix with the salt water, but it is maintained on the surface, acting as a thermal insulator.
The lakes with chlorinated and sodic water located here, as well as their mud, have therapeutic properties for many conditions, especially for gynecological conditions.
Besides gynecological conditions, the therapeutic factors from Sovata are also recommended for treating degenerative, inflammatory, rheumatic, post-traumatic disorders, conditions of the nervous system, endocrine disorders and cardiovascular diseases. Treatments used in health units and spa and wellness centers in Sovata include: warm baths in bathtub or pool, with water from the resort lakes, warm mud wrapping, physical therapy, electrotherapy, hydrotherapy, sauna, medical gymnastics.
Hereinafter we present a few reasons which will worth the while to plan a health and relaxation holiday in Sovata:
- The significant reputation that the resort has in treating gynecological conditions, such as infertility. In the popular culture, the renown of the resort is expressed in a few words, which refer to its specific: “Take me mother to Sovata, to known my father” or “Sovata, the place where the girl is happy”. According to the claims of certain renowned gynecologists, specialized in the treatment of couple infertility, Sovata is the only natural treatment center of couple infertility, not only from Romania, but from the Central and Eastern Europe. The power of the place is explained by the salt water and the sapropelic mud from the Bear Lake, which treats, first of all, female infertility, but also unpleasant symptoms generated by pre-menopause and menopause. Until the development of modern technologies, such as intrauterine insemination or in vitro fertilization, Sovata was the only natural infertility treatment center from Europe. The patient tourists visiting this center are from Canada, USA, Asian countries and, of course, Europe.
- Existence of the hotel infrastructure necessary for disabled persons. Tourists with special needs are expected at two hotels with high comfort standards, holding an extremely modern treatment, spa and wellness center. Along the specific equipment, the hotels in question are proud of their specialists very skilled in treating conditions.
- Praid salt mine, touristic objective at 10 km from Sovata, in the Salt Mountain. Praid salt mine is a rock salt mine from Romania, located 10 km away from Sovata and it is one of the largest salt mines from the country and Europe, its exploitation consisting in hundreds of years of income source for the locals. You can reach the heart of the Salt Mountain by bus, through a 1,500-metre-long tunnel, and the salt mine in itself hosts a true underground 120-metres-deep town let. Praid salt mine is accessible to persons with locomotor disabilities, but it has a few contraindications, such as: pulmonary tuberculosis, high blood pressure stage III, epilepsy, claustrophobia, etc.
- Sighisoara, the timeless inhabited citadel. Founded in the 12th century by the Transylvanian Saxons brought in the area by Hungarian kings, Sighisoara is today one of the best preserved medieval cities in Europe. Being located about 70 km away from Sovata, it is one of the benchmark cities of Transylvania, the favorite area of foreign tourists. The charm and historical value of many buildings and streets of Sighisoara have determined the inclusion of the citadel in the UNESCO heritage. Part of the cobbled streets of Sighisoara citadel were replaced by smoother dales, making them more accessible for wheelchair travelers. An aspect to consider is that the old citadel is placed on a hilly landscape and there is an inclined, still at a low angle.
- The famous Corund ceramics. Once arrived in this part of the country, it is a pity if you don’t visit Corund, a village located only 18 km away from Sovata. Corund name is synonym with popular ceramics, being one of the reference pottery centers of Transylvania. Each household from here represents a small workshop, and the pots with various shapes and sizes are artistically painted by popular masters. The represented motives are floral or zoomorphic, of Székely origin and in significant colors: red, cobalt blue, brown or multi-colored. A visit to Corund is an experience and, more than that, a beautiful memory to share with the loved ones from home, as an authentic gift.